Monday, April 2, 2007

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid


I awoke Sunday morning feeling under the weather ie. Chills, joint pains and nausea, everyone else in the house was feeling great! How could this be? We have all been completely healthy since we left the United States. Is Jen finally trying to cash in on the life insurance policy? Did I eat or drink something I shouldn’t have? I know I haven’t eaten cow tongue in over 2 weeks. Is this delayed sickness? I mean, who in their right mind eats cow tongue?

We planed on driving a couple of hours south to Cholia, where Butch Cassidy, the Sundance Kid and Etta Place had a cattle ranch. I had ulterior motives to drive to this ranch on Sunday despite being sick. I wanted to go mountain biking again in El Bolson, and time wouldn’t allow this to happen if we postponed the trip later in the week. Therefore, I bucked up and drove to Cholia. It wasn’t a pleasant ride. We had to drive on dirt/gravel road once again. Luckily in the next few years this will be paved. For us though, we had some kidney shaking, aeronautical leaps and bounds in the Kangoo.

When we arrived in Cholia we could see why Butch and the gang decided to settle here. It resembled the combination of the lower section of Montana and Arizona. There isn't much left of the cabin. It looks like they are trying to restore it. Rumor has it that there was a tunnel built inside the cabin that lead to the river nearby. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything that resembled a secret door nor an exit at the river. It was a little eerie walking around the property without a guide. I imagine the present owner will start charging admisson once the remodel and the highway is paved...

After leaving Cholia, we headed south to the National Parque Las Alerces. This is truly a beautiful side of Argentina. Glacier lakes and amazing mountains...We went on a short hike up a small mountain with amazing views...I think I finally found a place I could live. However, it is in the middle of nowhere and I don't think Jen and Payton would like being this far from home. (Maybe if I was running from the law like Butch and the gang, I would hide nearby...)

We didn't due much for the rest of the week. I eventually recovered. Everyone else in the house remained ill-free. (Thank Goodness) We had some good dinners, most importantly, some amazing ice cream. You can't go wrong with all the fresh fruits in the area with good old fashion ice cream. Last but not least, Jen made some Ranch dressing for us. This may not seem like anything special for those reading this blog, but let me tell you, when you go without for so long and you get a little tease like ranch dressing, it only makes you want a little more of the American condiments. (I think I saw some tabasco at a store!)

No comments: